Everyone is Welcome
Once more, with enthusiasm …
TKD seeks to create an environment where everyone in the community feels welcome to participate and contribute.
We encourage everyone to audition for roles in our productions, regardless of your level of experience on stage. Our casts frequently include a wide diversity of ages, ethnicities, talents and skills.
The only thing we really demand is enthusiasm!
It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play
adapted by Joe Landry
Dec 6-22, 2019
Directed by Candace Moore
Runs: Dec 6 – 22, 2019
- Saturday, Oct 26, 12:00 pm
- Monday, Oct 28, 6:30 pm
- JAKE LAURENTS – Male (25-35) Characters include George Bailey and Young George Bailey. An everyman–that part in all of us that is good. He’s genuine, passionate about everything he does, the underdog that everyone wants to win in the end, handsome, but a bit uncomfortable with his own physicality.
- SALLY APPLEWHITE – Female (25-35) Characters include Mary Hatch and Young Mary. Girl-next-door type, wholesome, smart, funny, talented. Sally has just arrived in town and here to make it or bust. Like Mary Hatch–once she falls in love, it’s forever.
- FREDDIE FILMORE – Male (30s-40s) Characters include Announcer, Old Man Gower, Potter, Joseph (super of angels), Billy Bailey (George’s uncle), Peter Baiey (George’s father), Old Man Collins, Binky (a bouncer), Shultz (has German dialect), and Sheriff Horace (a bank teller) Peter (George’s son), Ernie (a cab driver), Ed (at the run on the bank), Man at Martini’s, Pete (George’s son), Nick/Bartender, and Cop. Full of charm, the emcee of the evening’s presentation, well-polished, self-assured with a bit of an ego.
- LANA SHERWOOD – Female (30s-50s) Character include Violet Brick, Mrs. Thompson, ZuZu, Janie (George’s daughter) Rose Bailey, Matilda (a secretary), Ruth Bailey (Harry’s wife), Mrs. Hatch (Mary’s mother), and Sadie Vance (a bank examiner). Sassy and precocious, an experienced theater actress, has heard and seen it all.
- HARRY “JAZZBO” HEYWOOD – Male (30s-60s) Characters include Harry, Young Harry (George’s brother), Bert, Clarence,
Sam Wainwright (an entrepreneur), Martini (a bar owner), Dr. Campbell, Mr. Welch (a school teacher’s husband), Tommy (George’s son) and Charlie (man at the bank). Great physicality, technical and detailed but with an exceptional sense of the ironies of life.
- LIVE SOUND/ FOLEY ARTISTS – 2 ROLES (18-75) on the stage during the entire show. Must be able to create all of the live sound effects that are present during the production. Great stage presence, improvisation and comedy skills a plus.
- No monologue is necessary. The audition will consist of cold readings from the script.
- A headshot and resume are helpful but not required.
- Please bring a detailed list of conflicts for Nov-Dec.
Sit back, as if in your family living room in the 1940s, and listen to the familiar story told in its entirety, complete with sound effects and commercials. George Bailey, a small town businessman and father, thinks he’s a failure and plans to kill himself on Christmas Eve. He is saved when a guardian angel shows him how his town, family, and friends would turn out if he’d never been born.
“One of the best holiday shows around. This is a fresh and inventive way of reconnecting with a classic story of love and redemption.”
—Mary Houlihan, Chicago Sun-Times
“A well-loved tale told with style, charm and a heart so big it could burst the ribcage of the harshest Grinch.”
—Kerry Reid, The Chicago Tribune
“A fresh theatrical context that creates just the right kind of retro warmth. If you cry every time you see the movie, you’ll be blubbering away right on cue … Guaranteed.”
—Chris Jones, The Chicago Tribune