The Game's Afoot or Holmes for the Holidays
by Ken Ludwig
Directed by Windie Wilson
Runs: November 28 – December 14, 2014
- Saturday, September 20, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, September 21, 4:00 to 6:00 pm
Seeking 3 men, 5 women:
- William Gillette – 40 – 50s, magnanimous, modern day hero type, acts like he IS Sherlock Holmes
- Martha Gillette – 60 – 70s, (William's mother) pleasant, somewhat vague and dithering
- Felix Geisel – late 30s – 50s, playfully roguish, mischievous, prone to occasional histrionics
- Madge Geisel – late 30s – 50s, flamboyant, smart-mouthed gal about town
- Simon Bright – 20s –30s, sweet and enthusiastic
- Aggie Wheeler – 20s, spunky and good-natured
- Daria Chase – 30s – 50s, glamorous, show-biz catty
- Inspector Goring – 40 – 50s, British, a sort of female Columbo, alternatively clever and dense
Winner! 2012 Mystery Writers of America Edgar Allen Poe Awards – Best Play!
It is December 1936 and Broadway star William Gillette, admired the world over for his leading role in the play Sherlock Holmes, has invited his fellow cast-members to his Connecticut castle for a weekend of revelry. But when one of the guests is stabbed to death, the festivities in this isolated house of tricks and mirrors quickly turn dangerous. Then it's up to Gillette himself, as he assumes the persona of his beloved Holmes, to track down the killer before the next victim appears. The danger and hilarity are non-stop in this glittering whodunit set during the Christmas holidays.
"An inspired whodunit…a snappy, clever drawing-room mystery. There are twists in playwright Ken Ludwig's The Game's Afoot that cause the audience to gasp." - The Cleveland Plain Dealer
"The Game's Afoot is Murderously Funny!" - Broadway World Cleveland
"From the intriguing opening mini play within a play to the surprise last scene a split second before final curtain, The Game's Afoot gives you everything you love about great live theatre. Billed as a comedy thriller, you will find yourself swept along for a wild and funny ride." - Cleveland Examiner
"A hilarious, quirky and thrilling alternative to your standard holiday entertainment. The Game's Afoot is the perfect gift for the holidays..a fantastically fun night out at the theatre." - ClueintoCleveland.com
Auditions will held at the theatre, 319 N. Gay Street [directions]. Please bring a headshot or recent photo, if possible. Resumes are helpful but not required. No prepared monologue is needed; auditions will be cold readings from the script.
For more information, email email@example.com.
Please join our "actors" email list for notification of auditions.